How to Enroll in Medicaid

All of our clients receive general Medicaid after applying for benefits through the Department of Job and Family Services. They will receive new paper cards each month while enrolled in this program. As soon as they receive their first card, they need to be enrolled in a specific Medicaid plan.

1. Gather the following information before calling:

a. Job and family Services Case # (from letter), home address, date of birth, and social security number. PLEASE NOTE: Use SSN: 000-000-000. (Clients were initially approved with this number)

2. With Client, call the Medicaid Hotline at 1-800-324-8680

a. Follow series of prompts until you are able to speak with someone

b. Inform them you are representing a family that doesn’t speak English and to choose a Medicaid provider;

c.  Medicaid will want to speak with the client to verify that they are present.

a. The operator can dial in an interpreter. Tell them what language the client speaks

d. When asked by Medicaid, provide information above, then when prompted to select a healthcare provider, choose either Buckeye or United Healthcare (these are the best options for a refugee client in our area).

e. Ask what hospitals are closest to their address to determine which ones are in-network. At this point the client will probably not yet have a family doctor.

f. This should be the end of the call – should last 10-20 minutes’ max


3. After the call, call or email World Relief with the updated insurance company name. This is very important!


Permanent member card and provider information will be sent via mail.