Purpose: World Relief matches newly-arrived refugees with American Host Homes that can assist the family in learning English, adjusting to American culture, and preparing them for self-sufficiency.
- Host new refugee families in your home for 4-12 days immediately following their arrival at the Akron Canton Airport.
- Provide meals for the refugee family for 4-12 days, or initiate a plan for others to do so.
- Begin basic cultural orientation in your home (appliances, cooking, cleaning, etc).
- Communicate consistently with Volunteer Coordinator (and Case Worker) about refugee needs.
- Continue Cultural Orientation through short outings such as: grocery store(s), bus rides, post office, library, thrift store, downtown or neighborhood sight-seeing and/or parks.
- Assist case worker in providing transportation to medical, Social Security, DSHS, Department of Licensing, and Public Health appointments.
- Facilitate “donation procurement” from your church or neighborhood community, on behalf of refugee family. Gather/sort basic items for family’s first apartment or Ohio climate. (See www.worldreliefakron.org, under “donations” for sample list, or request more info).
- Willingness to share your home with people of other cultures and religions
- Passing Federal Background Check
- If transporting: Ohio State driver’s license, driving record check, and insured vehicle
For more information, or to request an application contact:
Volunteer Coordinator- Christian Benadum: firstname.lastname@example.org (234) 334-5190